Thursday, June 14, 2007

Failing is HOT!!

So, here is my new theory….the hotter I become, the less it will matter that I am multiple-failee of the California Bar Exam. Seriously. The legal industry is male dominated and coincidentally, so is the industry that I work in. So, I work in the male dominated in-house legal department of a large corporation in yet another male dominated industry. It is my contention that being hot, and particularly having a hot bod will take you far in life and make up for other (most often, glaring) deficiencies. Anyone who has ever worked in law firm knows at least one assistant, secretary, paralegal, associate, etc. that is there because he or she is totally hot, or at the very least, hotter than the other applicants.

This is how the conversation most often goes:

Guy A: Did you read the report (brief, motion, agenda, or whatever) that Hot Bod wrote?

Guy B: No, why?

Guy A: God, it's a total train wreck. Poor grammar and syntax; completely disorganized. Did we get a writing sample before we hired her?

Guy B: Who cares? At least she’s hot.

Guy A: Totally.

Guy B: I was thinking of nominating her for Associate of the Year.

Guy A: Good idea, I’ll second it.

How many of us have said this about a hot person we work with? I have said it. “Well, at least she’s hot.” Hot people are forgiven more often. Is it wrong? Yes. Annoying? Yep. Discriminatory? Totally. Does it happen? Yes. Is it my battle to take on? Nope. So I am gonna make it work to my advantage.

Having said that, my new goal in life is to get as hot as possible so the conversation about me can go something like this:

Guy A: Did you read the brief that Blonde Blogger wrote?

Guy B: No, why?

Guy A: Stellar work. On-point and concise, the client is going to love it ~ he will save millions in costs and fees. But did you hear she can’t pass the California Bar Exam?

Guy B: Who cares? At least she’s hot.

Guy A: Totally.

Guy B: I was thinking of nominating her for Paralegal of the Year.

Guy A: Good idea, I’ll second it. I think she needs a raise too.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I am totally digging this theory.

Blonde Blogger said...

Me too!! I like the new name!!!

Emily said...

Thanks! Probably has some unwanted connotation (ie - 2am & beer goggles), but I don't care. I'm married to a hottie who doesn't know he's hot (the best kind!).

BTW, I totally respect your commitment to running the half-marathon. I talked about training for a 10K or even a half marathon after I failed the first time, so I could feel like I accomplished something, just like you wrote/said. More power to you for actually following through on it! Run, BB, Run!

Blonde Blogger said...

To last call - great new name! And thanks for your comments...love them! They sound like thing I would say...;-)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.