Friday, January 19, 2007

It is 12 Degrees In There!

As some of the other bloggers out there studying for the bar will tell you, looking and feeling good is an important component of bar preparation. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to concentrate or retain significant amounts of material if you do not look or feel good. When I studied for the bar last time, I was a total mess. No makeup, sweats or shorts (it was usually about 100 degrees outside!) and my hair up in a knot on my head. I looked like shit and felt even worse. However, I just could not give up the 30 or 40 minutes of extra sleep. My husband continually told me I looked totally hot (back then, I thought he was exhibiting signs of early-early-onset Alzheimer's, but now I think it was just a thinly-veiled attempt to get me in the mood) but I felt like a dishrag.

Things are different now!! I am over it and am going to take on the bar looking good!! Hair (usually) done and makeup on!! I am up early and to the gym. Nails and toes are good! I am treating bar prep this time like a full time job; I wouldn't go to work in sweats without makeup, so why go to the library that way? Exactly!!

Which brings me to my next point; while I am feeling better about myself (self-confidence is crucial for the bar exam, after all!) and trying to be all cute and everything, the Bay Area is going through a cold spell and I am freezing my ass off. Apparently, my local library is trying to conserve energy or keep the PG&E bill down, because it is positively ARCTIC in there!

How am I supposed to be cute and confident when I look like the Michelin Man??? Here is what I wore to the library yesterday: tights under my jeans, jeans, two pairs of socks, tennis shoes, a tank top, a thermal long-sleeved top, an Old Navy fleece, my parka, gloves, scarf and hat. THIS IS CALIFORNIA! Are you kidding me with this, how am I supposed to feel like a hottie with all these clothes on? It took me a half hour every time I had to go to the bathroom. Even with all that, I still had to go to the bathroom every hour and run my hands under the hot water, because I can't type with my gloves on. I wonder if that would work as an excuse with my professor for not writing as much as I should, "I am sorry I don't have more essays to turn in, Mr. Bar Review Professor, it was too cold." Not so much.

So, Monday starts my quest for a kinder, gentler place to study. There are several other public library I can go to, so I may shop around. Maybe this just means that I need to buy more clothes! I wonder if there is a library near the mall...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're comments couldn't be more right one, BB. . . .Self-confidence is key, and real self-confidence, not false bravado like Jackass! And I'm sure you're still a hottie, even with all the clothes on!!