Friday, January 12, 2007

Alternate Career Choice #2

In law school, immediately after every exam, I would tell my friends, "Oh well, if I flunk out I am going to beauty school!" And everyone would laugh. Now that I have failed the bar, no one is laughing. I think people are seriously afraid that I am headed for beauty school and they are not wrong. It is Alternate Career Choice #2.

I liked law school. It was demanding and I made significant sacrifices, but I enjoyed a lot of the classes, the reading and the professors. But sometimes, in some of my lower points since failing the bar, I wonder, what the hell was I thinking? I have worked in small firms, large firms and in-house legal departments and I have seen the toll practicing law can take on a person. Billing hours is a huge pain in the ass, and a lot of new lawyers don't realize that in order bill 8 or 9 hours a day, you need to actually work 12 or 13. Clients lie, judges hate you for interrupting their golf plans with your silly little demurrer and opposing counsel won't return your calls.

Beauty school and doing hair all day??? Heaven! Imagine spending all day in a pretty salon with good lighting, wearing cute clothes, listening to good music surrounded by hair products and People magazines?? I can almost hear the angels singing! The only responsibility you have is not to turn Mrs. Jones' hair green! Oh, to do hair all day and chat with my friends (I mean, clients) about why Brad Pitt would cheat on someone like Jennifer Anniston! Plus, I would always have good hair. Bonus!

Oh, wait. I forgot. I have a shitload of student debt. I get bored easily. I like expensive purses. I need to pay off said debt. I like to argue. I think I will give the law one more chance before I don my pink smock and learn how to do highlights. But I still have my application all filled out and ready to go!

No comments: