Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Bar Review with Reality Television

I am finding there is an excellent way to learn the law through reality television. I am ashamed to admit this (not really) but I LOVE reality TV. I am not even that picky; you know how some people will watch Survivor, but not The Girls Next Door? Reality snobs. Not me, I like to watch them all. And God bless the people who invented Tivo. I mean really, Tivo ranks right up there with electricity, the curling iron and feminine hygiene products. And that is no joke.

I also like really bad pop music sung by precocious teenagers, but that is for another post.

The following is a reality TV Guide for all the peeps studying for the bar so you will know which shows to watch to learn the subjects:

The Real World Denver - Crimes and Torts - especially assault, battery, sexual misconduct, and the defenses of voluntary and involuntary intoxication.

The Duel - The Real World/Road Rules Challenge - Same as above, except you can add trespass to chattel, bribery and extortion.

Breaking Bonaduce - Constitutional Law - freedom of association and freedom of religion - as well as all of Crimes, especially INSANITY.

My Fair Brady - Community Property - the underestimated value of prenuptial agreements.

The Girls Next Door - Contracts - particularly offer, acceptance and consideration. Gives new meaning to the phrases "bargained for exchange" and "partial performance."

The Biggest Loser - Criminal Procedure - 8th Amendment - cruel and unusual punishment.

Dr. 90210 - Evidence - especially "excited utterance ."

The Anna Nicole Show - Community Property, Wills and Trusts - testator's intent, validity of wills, will contests and again, the underestimated value of prenuptial agreements.

What Not To Wear - Constitutional law - freedom of speech.

The Apprentice - Corporations and Partnerships - duty of loyalty and self-dealing.

Hogan Knows Best - Torts - nuisance, public as well as private.

I find that "studying" the law this way is a fun, yet disturbing way to commit the finer points of law to memory. Way better than Barbri.

2 comments:

Virgin blogger said...

I love reality tv too; however, I've never thought of it from a legal perspective. My current favorites are What Not to Wear and the one about Gene Simmons and his family!

Blawgin' said...

It's my belief that reality tv keeps us sane throughout this maddening process. It keeps the twitchy paranoia at bay. =) That, and shopping. Good luck with your studying, and keep your spirits up!