Friday, May 11, 2007

2 Weeks.

Ugh. Only two weeks till results. I feel almost paralyzed; there are things I want to blog about everyday (Paris, leave Arnie alone, he has bigger fish to fry...) but I just can't seem to get it together. I finally gave up reading the blogs of bar takers from other states, it was totally stressing me out. To read their accounts of either passing and celebrating, or not passing and going through the excruciatingly painful process of reapplying makes me start itching, I get so anxious. It's all I can do to put my makeup on and get to work in the morning.

And that's another thing; work takes up a shitload of time. Between my stress level and work, my posts have been less frequent these days. Turns out that 40-50 hours a week is a LOT of time. This is why I would never pursue a job with a big firm (yeah, like they would want me...), I just do not want to work that much. Assuming that I actually WORK for 9 hours a day, which is probably a stretch seeing as how I have to read the news online, check my email and read my favorite blogs, if I were at a firm, I would probably be able to bill 6.5 hours a day. Which, after doing the math, would put me at about 1690 billable hours a year, if I don't take any holidays or time off or vacation. Which would promptly get me fired after the first year. There is no law firm I know of that has a billable requirement that low.

So, since I am basically lazy, and want to work a normal week and have time to go out and drink copious amounts of wine with my husband, I am going to try and stay right where I am if (WHEN!) I pass the bar. The whole in-house thing ROCKS! Obviously, if I don't pass, I am staying right here, happy as a Pussycat Doll, until I decide if I want to take the February 2008 bar exam.

More power to all you peeps out there that want to "hang your shingle," as they say, and open your own law office. I have never had any desire to do that and I would be terrible at picking out copy machines, designing letterhead and hiring people. I would probably just hire all my friends and chat and shop online all day. Clearly not a sound business decision. I think I will stick with my awesome in house job...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, your in-house position doesn't mind whether you pass the bar this go around or not? Are all in-house positions flexible in this way?

I just looked at the calendar today, and like you, I realized that there are only two weeks between us and D-Day. Wow!! Two weeks is nothing. But you know what, I think we passed :-)

I've most definitely enjoyed all of your posts (Listen Up Pees, Grandma and Crumb Snatchers had me rolling). Thanks for making me smile at a time when almost nothing could.

Good luck~

Blonde Blogger said...

Anonymous - Good luck to you too! I can feel it, we are gonna have some partying to do in two weeks!

And just to clarify...I am currently in house as a paralegal...so, no, they really don't mind whether I pass or not...;-) But when I was hired, we discussed my future with the company as an attorney and they were just as hopeful as I was that I could transition to an attorney position. But in the meantime, they have a kick ass paralegal that ROCKS!

Anonymous said...

As someone who knows you personally, I will disagree with you on one point in your blog today. You are so not lazy!!! I don't think I've ever met someone who does as much as you do.

I know in 2 weeks we will be popping the cork on that bottle of champagne I've had in my fridge just waiting for the right occasion to be opened. Party at my house!

;)