Monday, July 2, 2007

Thank you.

Blawgin’ recently posted about how she created her blog to relieve stress and vent, as well as to think out loud and memorialize her musings; and to elicit feedback on certain issues pertaining to life, the law or the bar exam. I could not agree more.

I have a great circle of friends. Friends from every job I have ever had as an adult, friends from law school, college, high school and even grade school. I am very lucky and put a substantial amount of effort into maintaining those relationships. However, I am finding that I no longer want to discuss the bar exam or law school, or whether or not I will ever be a lawyer with my friends. My law school friends are right there with me and they don’t want to talk about it either. My friends that I have made in the work place are all in the legal industry; they are sympathetic and know the overwhelming magnitude of anger, despair, and frustration I have with the process. They are embarrassed for me, and with me. Some have been through it themselves and others have watched people similarly situated go through it.

From other friends, sometimes I get the feeling that they are thinking, “Why doesn’t she just study harder?” “Why can’t she pass?” and “Maybe she’s not as smart as I think she is.” They don’t understand the process and the mind games the bar plays with you. And perhaps more significantly, I don’t think that they believe that one’s ability to pass the bar is in no way related one’s ability to practice law.

My family too, does the best they can to support me. Most of my family has a lot of other things going on, thank god, and I avoid bringing it up; in fact, I wish everyone could just forget that I even went to law school.

Which is why this blog, and the other blogs that I read, have become invaluable to me in terms of dealing the bar exam(s) as well as the aftermath of failing twice. I can obsess about it privately. I can read and read and read about it all I want and no one will know. I do not have to appear pathetic or angry or that I am unable to move on to anyone, especially my husband.

I find it comforting that others are dealing with the same issues I am. I take solace in knowing that some who are going through this are the same age as me, some older. I am relieved to find I am not the only one who gained weight during bar review, not the only one who didn’t wear makeup for days on end, and not the only one who had a nuclear meltdown because Starbucks was out of pumpkin scones. I am also not the only one who wanted to set fire to their law school diploma. And it appears everyone I know online knows some vapid troglodyte that passed the bar exam. Everyone has their own Jackass.

Knowing these things has given me great comfort and for those of you whose blogs I read and who read mine, know that I appreciate your thoughts and rants and diatribes and hope you will continue, until all of us can put this bar exam issue to bed.

6 comments:

Richard said...

Definitely agree with you - particularly doing the home study thing - the majority of my friends don't even do law and those that do live more than a 100 miles away back near Uni!

calbar blondie said...

BB,
This was why I created my blog, too. I was tired of the "oh, you tried so hards" or "you'll get it next time." I have law school friends who have gone in a myriad of directions. Some passed, some did not. Others are trying again, others have given up. Some are practicing successfully..but only a couple since it's really only been a year!
The blog is a cathartic diary, and a means of sharing with others who are battling the same goal.

Blawgin' said...

Isn't it interesting how we don't want to talk about it with anyone we know, but feel so much better "talking" about it here?

I think it's due to the fact that we can truly understand each other on the misery of the bar exam and there's no judgment or competition.

This process can really leave us feeling very vulnerable. Which, for most of us having come this far, is an unusual feeling.

We gotta keep it in perspective. As much as I HATE HATE HATE the trite remarks of those blissfully unaffiliated with the bar exam world ("Oh, you're sure to pass!" "Don't worry, you're so smart!"), they're very lack of awareness about this exam shows us that, perhaps, it's not quite the all-consuming monster of all things good and happy in this life. =)

Blawgin' said...

Sorry, have to correct a typo: "their" not "they're."

I know, I know...anal.

RaisedFromAshes said...

You put into writing what I have been feeling since starting my blog just a couple of desperate weeks ago. I feel SOOOOOOOOO much better knowing that I am not the only person who has failed more than once, and that I am not alone in questioning the usefulness of my law degree. Hang in there, and keep writing...it helps you and all of us! Thank you!

GC said...

God - I couldn't agree more! Most of my friends outside law school try to sound supportive, but I know what they are thinking! Which is also why it's sometimes so hard to get genuine support from my husband (my ivy league, perfect GPA, non-legal educated husband). And I too agree about not wanting to talk about law school or bar exams with anyone, and I do act like I'm fine and okay with everything, but this "blogging" is where I really vent out and say that actually, I'm not okay.